Welshpool (Welsh: Y Trallwng) is a town in Powys, Wales, 4 miles (6 km) from the Wales-England border. The town is low-lying on the River Severn; the Welsh language name Y Trallwng literally meaning ‘the marshy or sinking land’. Welshpool is the fourth largest town in Powys.
In English it was initially known as Pool but its name was changed to Welshpool in 1835 to distinguish it from the English town of Poole. It has a population of 6,269 (United Kingdom Census 2001), contains much Georgian architecture and is just north of Powis Castle.
The article below mentioned an 18th century cockpit on its original location. This maybe a different cockpit than Talwrn cockpit that was moved and rebuilt on St Fagans Museum complex. Check out our previous articles yesterday and the other day.
– Gameness til the End
Welshpool is a lively market town It was granted a charter by the Prince of Powys in 1263. Along its medieval streets is a number of elegant Georgian buildings, mixed in with contrasting black-and-white, timbered-framed houses.
Founded in 1874 is The Powysland Museum. It is a former warehouse, and has on display many interesting historical artifacts of the region. The most notable is an Iron Age shield. The old warehouse is also home to the Montgomery Canal Centre, which shows the story of the Welsh waterways. The Cockpit is the only surviving cockfighting arena still on its original site in Wales. Built in the 18th century, the Cockpit remained in use until the activity was banned in Britain in 1849.
The real glory of Welshpool, however, is the magnificent Powis Castle that began life as a 13th century border fortress. Constructed of red limestone, it was referred to as the Red Castle. The remains of a Norman motte and bailey are thought to originate from the first castle that was destroyed during a local dispute. Edward I granted the owners of Powis Castle a barony, provided they renounce their Welsh titles, which they duly did. They subsequently built the present-day castle. William, third Baron Powis, who died in 1696, built additional towers, turrets and battlements to what was essentially a mansion house. He also created the wonderful formal gardens, with long terraces sweeping down to parkland. Statues and clipped yews adorn the terraces, and in the park is a 181ft Douglas fir, the tallest tree in Britain.
The Castle had various owners down the centuries and this is reflected in its architecture and surroundings. Among the owners was Edward Clive, the son of Clive of India. The castle plays host to the Clive Museum, which features treasures from the man’s Indian adventures. The castle interior also contains many fine furnishings and paintings.
For further information see – http://www.welshpool.org/